of population are between the ages of 15 and 24
of neighborhood households are below the poverty line
The North Central Choice planning area is about half a square mile. York Street is its northern boundary and Cecil B Moore is its southern boundary. To the east it is bounded by 6th street and Germantown Avenue and to the west by North Carlisle Street and North 16th street.
The neighborhood, once an industrial powerhouse, has since had to deal with many setbacks including an overall collapse of the area’s manufacturing industry. This has left the community with a lot of vacant and abandoned homes, factories and lots as well as a population with high rates of poverty. These neighborhood challenges have led to an increase in crime and disinvestment discouraging walking and outdoor activities. The Germantown avenue commercial corridor is also threatened with vacant and abandoned properties, posing additional challenges for local businesses.
In spite of these challenges, North Central Choice has many unique strengths that prove it to be a very promising area. It is close to Temple Regional Rail station and many other transportation hubs. This allows for easy travel in and around the City and access to jobs around the region. It is also close to several areas with high numbers of job opportunities.
The goal of the grant is that by 2020:
- The area will be economically thriving and full of mixed –use and mixed-income home.
- There will be more green space for residents to relax and play.
- The community will be partnering with Temple to improve the education system and increase graduation rates
- The commercial corridors will be working to provide more opportunities for local businesses.
- Crime rates will decrease.
- The amount of walking and outdoor activities can increase.
- Residents of the community will have easy access to jobs in their own neighborhood
- Residents will have many transportation options to commute to jobs outside the area.
In short, our goal is that by 2020, North Central Choice will be a “stronger, healthier community in which to live, work, worship, learn and play.”
North Central Choice provides many options for transportation around the city including buses, subways, regional rail and bikes.
North Central Choice is served by 6 Septa bus lines
- 33rd Cecil B. Moore to Frankford Transportation Center (3)
- Fern Rock Transportation Center to Broad and Pattison (4)
- Cheltenham – Ogontz to City Hall (16)
- Broad-Oregon to Chestnut Hill (23)
- Richmond Cumberland to 33rd – Dauphin (39)
- Whitman Plaza to Fern Rock Transportation Center (57)
- Schedules – www.septa.org
The Temple University Septa regional Rail station is served by the Kansdale/Doylestown, Fox Chase, West Trenton and Norristown/Manayunk lines. It is conveniently located in North Central Choice. See www.septa.org for schedule.
North Central Choice has two SEPTA subway stops on the broad Street Line: Cecil B. Moore and Susquehanna Dauphin. See www.septa.org for schedul
There are four Indego Bike Share stations easily accessible to North Central Choice residents. For more information on Indego Bike Share, check out their website at www.rideindego.com/stations